Friday, June 15, 2007

Chapter 2 - A Day's work

Lou was angry and when he was angry he used to usually call his brother. This time around he knew that his brother was directly responsible for the incident that had made him angry. He knew that he needed to have his wits about him if he was to have any success with his brother. And he knew just the tone of voice to adopt for the occasion. But he knew he needed some leverage all the same.

He called his assistant and gave clear instructions, “Operation Delta is a go”.

Unfortunately his assistant Mr.A had just woken up so couldn’t grasp his instructions clearly. “Operation Delta….Sir could you be more specific”

“How more specific can I be? We did speak about this yesterday! Have you started using that powdery stuff that I specifically asked you to stay away from again?” Lou shouted.

“Sir, I am sorry but I don’t recall the details of Operation Delta. I did get your memo but I am afraid it was not very specific”, Mr. A replied nervously.

“The specifics are up to you. What do I pay you for? I am not into micro management. That’s not my style. If you want your employer to keep on breathing down your neck, monitoring everything that you do, why don’t you work for my brother instead?”, Lou was about to lose it completely.

“Actually sir, I did go him before I came to you but he did not want me. He did not quite like my qualifications. It was a bit of a let down, I did go to business school and pass with honors and besides everyone told me that experience counted more than the degree. But he just looked at my resume and said that he’d let me know. No questions asked, none of that, ‘tell me a bit about you stuff’. I found it quite strange. And frankly speaking, in fact now that you mentioned it, I am hoping that perhaps you can put in a word for me. I am looking at gaining some experience with the other side”, Mr. A babbled. His employer made him nervous and when he was nervous he let out exactly what was on his mind. He knew it was his shortcoming.

“Mr. A, do I come across as a benevolent and kind person to you? Don’t attempt answering that because I know I am not. The only reason why I am not firing you right now is because I can’t replace you at such short notice and I need Operation Delta executed immediately so will you get on with it”, Lou was breathing fire now.

“About Operation Delta sir…” Mr. A stuttered

“What about Operation Delta?” Lou shouted.

“The details sir” Mr. A could barely manage a whisper.

“When I call you take out Jay Metal” Lou spoke in a hushed tone.

“I am sorry sir, I did not quite get that. Could you be a bit louder? The reception here is very bad I’m afraid” Mr. A raised his voice in an attempt to be clear.

“You don’t need to shout A. I can hear you perfectly. Take out Jay Metal, I said” Lou said a bit louder.

“Take out sir? I am sorry, I don’t understand. Can you be more specific sir. Do you mean take him out for lunch?”, Mr. A was confused and could not hide it.

“WHEN I CALL YOU TAKE HIM OUT…MAKE HIM DISAPPEAR…TERMINATE HIM, SLAUGHTER HIM…SLAY HIM, MURDER HIM, TAKE HIS LIFE, KILL HIM…DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW”, Lou was beyond himself.

“Clearly Sir. My mission that is Operation Delta is to wait for your call and upon receiving your affirmation cause Jay Metal’s life to cease” Mr. A paraphrased.

“FINALLY…MOW GET STARTED, you have work to do and I have to call my brother”, Lou realised that he was still shouting and changed his tone mid way.

“Yes sir. On with it. And sir, just one more thing”, Mr. A was brimming with a sense of purpose.

“What is it A?” Lou inquired

“Sir, will you put in a word for me with your brother. I genuinely do want to gain some experience in that department.” Mr. A spoke politely, hoping not to offend his employer.

“A. Do this well and I’ll see what I can do”, Lou couldn’t believe what he had just heard but needed to get on with work and call his brother.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow that sounds so much like my boss... (in a good mood)

Mukul said...

hee hee.