Monday, October 09, 2006

Songs of a long gone past

I had only recently heard the song. It seemed a bit strange to me. It was melodious, and that’s all I could grant to it.

El Condor Pasa, I never paid much attention to understanding the meaning of the title. I failed to see any Spanish or Mexican connection in the song, as the title sounded Mexican, not that I was ever an expert on Mexico.

But with the arrogance of youth and being the offspring of very intelligent and academically qualified parents, those days I considered myself to be an expert on any and everything, albeit most of those who knew me then would completely disagree.

El meaning the, Condor as in a large vulture like bird. My understanding stopped there. ‘I’d rather be a sparrow, than a snail’, ‘I’d rather be a hammer than a nail’…now why would anyone want to be a sparrow or a hammer to start off with.

Anyway my ears perked up when I heard her say, “I love that song” and started singing it. One thing in common with her. Not that there was much. Music was perhaps the only place where I could hold my own. Even though I only had pretensions of understanding and appreciating good music at best. The truth was that I was just beginning to listen. But like quite a few 14 year olds, I talked more than I knew and pretended to understand more than I actually understood.

No comments: