Monday, August 15, 2005

Earl Grey


Making good tea is something that I do well. Must state though that Tea habits are so personal that one mans good cuppa is another mans poison. Perhaps the only virtue of my fathers that I have managed to develop (unfortunately). A combination of Lipton Green and Brook Bond Red Label.

Just a little bit of milk so that the tea has a golden-terracota colour. Not too white not too dark. The hue is quite pleasing to look at.

Mukul comes close to making it the way I do and he is nice enough to make me my morning cup at times. Parul stirs up quite a nice brew as well and when in a benevolent mood treats me.

And then I discovered (fucks sake! I sound like a commercial) Twinings Earl Grey, named after well Earl Grey. Supposedly he received it as a gift from a Chinese mandarin. The blend - China, Ceylon and Darjeeling, has a special flavoring of Bergamont which for the uninitiated is a citrus flavoring (The informed have the right to be condescending. Thank you Google).

Hot water, a spot of milk and one tea bag is all it takes to make a delightful and thoroughly recommended cuppa tea.

2 comments:

Mukul said...

according to father dear, in the good old days when we had hitkari potteries tea pots in our house and actually used to make brewed tea, one spoon of tea per cup, milk to be heated separately. the brit way of making tea.

Parul Gahlot said...

I like tea in the cold winter in Delhi sitting in the lawn with my mother and sharing it with her. I can still taste the ginger. I don't know the exact process of how she makes it but who cares about that. It's the amazing love with which she makes it and sometimes when I make it for her she kisses my hands and tells me ,
" This is the best tea I have ever had! "
I've given up drinking tea although I'm glad you think I still manage to make it alright.